How Do I?
Anyone who lives or works in Ouachita Parish may receive a Library card. Simply bring in proof of address and proof of identity (two separate documents) to any of our 10 branches. You will fill out a simple form and then receive your Library card. Children and teens ages 16 and under must have a parent or legal guardian register the card for them. You are responsible for any and all materials checked out on your Library card. If your Library card is lost or stolen, immediately report it to the Library.
Proof of identity
- Current driver's license (from any state),
- Current state-issued ID (from any state),
- Current military ID, OR
- Current passport (from any country)
Proof of address
- Current, postmarked piece of mail addressed to yourself,
- Printed checkbook with both name and current address,
- Auto registration with name and current address,
- Voter registration with name and current address,
- Report card with name and current address, OR
- Current lease agreement
Proof of employment in Ouachita Parish (if you do not live in Ouachita Parish)
- Recent check stub with your name and company name, OR
- Photo work ID
If you don't live in Ouachita Parish, but you do work in the Parish, you may register for a Library card.
If you do not live or work in Ouachita Parish, you may be eligible for a Trailblazer card. Trailblazer cards give you access to books in all libraries in the Trailblazer parish system. If you live in another parish, you may be eligible to receive a Trailblazer card that will allow you to check out books from the Ouachita Parish Public Library. To receive a Trailblazer card, you must first apply for a library card in your home parish. Then, you must receive a Trailblazer card from your home parish. The parishes include Caldwell, Concordia, East Carroll, Franklin, Jackson, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Ouachita, Richland, Tensas, Union and West Carroll.
All library cards have a maximum of 30 items checked out at any one time, unless otherwise noted. Children and Teen cards are unable to check out DVDs and artwork. Trailblazer cards can check out 5 DVDs.
- Books and VHS: 30 items per card
- DVDs: 10 items per card (adults only)
- Books on CD, music CDs, and magazines: 5 items per card
- Art prints: 2 items per card (adults only)
- Art prints: 6 weeks
- Books, audiobooks, and music CDs: 3 weeks
- Past magazine issues (current magazine issues not available for check out): 1 week
- DVDs and VHS: 1 week
You can return any borrowed items to any Ouachita Parish Public Library branch, regardless of which branch you borrowed the item from.
Call or visit your local branch. If an item is lost, you will be charged to replace the item, process it back into the system, and pay any overdue fines that may have accrued. If an item is damaged, check with the circulation desk at your local branch. The item may be repairable. You may be charged a small fee ($1.00 for minor damage, $2.50 for a new case) for repaired items. If an item cannot be repaired, the item will be treated as lost and after paying the replacement fee, you may keep it. You may also purchase a copy of the item as a replacement, but please check with your local branch for the ISBN number before purchasing.
Late fines are 25 cents per item per day. The overdue fine for one item will max out at $5.00.
Yes! Log in to your online account at the top of any page on this website. You will need your Library barcode (on the back of your library card) and your PIN number (the last four digits of your phone number, unless otherwise noted). If you do not remember your PIN number, you can call the Library and have it reset.
A patron will not be able to check out new items or use certain e-services until a fine is paid. If the fine is $25.00 or over, all associated patrons will also be blocked from checking out or using certain e-services. Fines more than $25.00 that have not been paid in 65 days will be transferred to a collection agency to secure payment. A $10 collection agency fee will be added at this time. As a nonprofit organization, this debt will not affect your credit score by federal law. Partial payment can be made on accounts and can be paid in person and online.
Your Library card not only gives you access to print books, DVDs and other physical items, but it also lets you borrow e-books and access online services. To learn more about how to download e-books and e-audiobooks and stream music and movies, click here. To learn more about how to research the Library's databases and online services, click here.
To access some of the Library's e-services, you will need to enter both your Library card number (found on the back of your Library card) and your PIN number. Your PIN number is the last four digits of your phone number, unless otherwise noted. If you need help accessing your account, call your local branch or 318.327.1490.
Most Library items can be renewed on or before the due date, if the item has not been requested by another Library patron.
There are several ways to renew your borrowed Library items:
- Visit the Library during open hours,
- Call your local branch during open hours,
- Log in to your online account and renew your items 24/7, OR
- Log in to the Ouachita Parish Public Library Stacks app and renew your items 24/7
You can place items on hold for pick-up at the front desk of your preferred branch in three ways:
- Online Account. To place an item on hold with your online account, use the search bar at the top of any page on this website. You will be able to search for items by subject, title, author or type of work, fiction or nonfiction. After you enter your keywords, click "search." You will see a list of results. Click 'place request' next to the items you want to put on hold. You will be asked to enter your Library card number (the entire number from your card or key chain) and your PIN (the last four digits of the phone number on your account). You will be able to select the branch that you want to have your items sent to for pick-up.
- Library App. Using the Ouachita Parish Public Library Stacks app, you can place items on hold. Download the app in the Apple App Store or on Google Play. After logging in with your Library card number (the entire number from your card or keychain) and your PIN (the last four digits of your phone number on your account), you can search for the item you would like to place on hold. Click on the item you wish to place on hold. Then click the blue "request" button. You will be able to select the branch that you want to have your items sent to for pick-up.
- Telephone. You can also place items on hold over the telephone. Call your preferred pick-up branch and tell the staff member what items you would like to place on hold. Give the librarian as much information as you can about the item (some items may have the same title or similar plots). You will need to tell the staff member your name and your Library card number (the entire number from your card or keychain).
When you apply for a card, you can choose your method of notification (phone, text, or email). Once you are notified, you have three days (day 1 is the day of notification) to pick up your item. If you are not getting notifications or would like to change your notification method, contact your local branch.
Yes, the Library has free WiFi for you to use at any of our branches.
At this time computers are available for public use at the Main, Ouachita Valley, West Monroe, and Carver McDonald branches.
Patrons are able to print in black and white or color at the Library. Black and white printing costs ten cents per page. Color printing costs a dollar per page. Printing must be done from the Library's public computers. Printing must be done on standard letter or legal size paper provided by the Library. The Library cannot accommodate patrons needing other paper sizes or specialty paper.
Patrons are able to make copies of documents at the Library. Copies can be made in black and white at a rate of ten cents per page. Color copying can be done at a rate of a dollar per page. Double sided documents can be copied and patrons will be charged at the rate per side. Copies can be made on standard letter or legal sized paper provided by the library. The Library cannot accommodate patrons needing other paper sizes or specialty paper.
Patrons are able to scan printed documents to save to a flash drive at the Library. Patrons must provide their own flash drive. Flash drives can be purchased from the Library at a rate of $5.00 each. Documents can be scanned to flash drives at a rate of 10 cents per page in black and white or color. Double sided documents will be charged per side.
Emailing Printed Documents
Patrons are able to email printed documents from the Library. The cost for email services is ten cents per page. Double sided documents are charged per side.
Patrons are able to fax at the Library. Faxing services are available at a rate of $1.00 per page. Fax cover sheets are available upon request and will be charged as an additional page to be faxed.
Services provided at the Library can be paid for in cash for less than $1.00. Patrons who need to pay for more than $1.00 have the additional option to pay with a credit or debit card if desired.
Receipts are available for all services at no cost upon request.
Due to COVID-19, there are no computer classes currently available. This website will be updated when computer programs become available again.